Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Slice of Life 2: Banana Boat

Banana Boat
I step out on to the warm beach, the bright Caribbean sun shining down on me. My family and I were going to go on a banana boat ride in the Dominican Republic. At the ticket booth, we are asked to put on life jackets. My parents assure me that I won't need them. We get on a little dingy that takes us out to the ocean, where we get on the banana boat. The guide inflates one pontoon of the banana boat, and then starts pulling us with the dingy. Water splashes everywhere as we bound across the waves and then suddenly, I feel the weight start to shift under me, and then the thing I feel next is water all around. When I swim to the surface I see the banana boat on it's side, and then everyone else in the water around me. We flip the banana boat back over and get back on. Fifteen seconds later, we are back in the water, with the banana boat on it's side. We get back on the dingy and watch as the guide inflates the pontoon again, and then not knowing better, we get back on. We start bouncing back to the dock, when a big wave hits us, and we are back in the water. We get in the dingy, and head back to the dock. I got out laughing, and ran up the beach. We then observed the people after us get on the banana boat, and flip over. They flip over again, and then get tangled in a rope. We watch and then head to the pool.
photo credit: <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/articnomad/241014979/">JoshuaDavisPhotography</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/">cc</a>

9 comments:

  1. Wow, was it supposed to be that way, or was it having big trouble? How funny that you really did need that life jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy. That's really depressing. Cool slice though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda, It was not supposed to flip over. It flipped over because a pontoon deflated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's really funny, when did that happen?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha thats awesome! Glad it was fun even though it didn't work right!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol, you think you wont need the life jacket but you do. Sounds like a bus that broke down on a class field trip. LOL
    Nice job though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha sounds really cool! That sounds really fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool I love banana boats was this on a bad one because those are really hard.

    ReplyDelete

This is my blog. I hope you like it.