Friday, February 27, 2015

Skiing! March 1


Skiing

I pop off my skis, pick them up, and put them together. I step up to the sign, which reads Long Shot, open. This is the only slope on the whole mountain that is not accessible by lift. Instead, you have to take a hike up a short, but steep mountain, in ski boots, while carrying skis. Although this hike is hard, the slope is worth it, especially today, when there is fresh powder. Nobody ever skis Long Shot, so it has some of the best conditions on the mountain. I start hiking up. This isn't that bad, I think when I'm about a third of the way up. Then it gets steeper. At halfway up I start to get out of breath. I slow down my pace. I feel like I'm about to collapse when I reach the top. It flattens out, and I can get an incredible view of the mountains. I pop on my skis, and slide into the powdery bliss that lies in front of me.
photo credit: <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/93751689@N04/9110571424">Liberty Ridge Mt Rainier</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/">(license)</a>

6 comments:

  1. I really liked all of the description you included in your slice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "sliding into the powdery bliss" sounds great, & I think the advertisers would love that line, Jack!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Job Jack! That hike and slope was really fun and I love your Slice about it, especially the end: I pop on my skis, and slide into the powdery bliss that lies in front of me.is a great line :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where did you ski? I like how you put fractions in your writing. how long ago was this ? How old where you? I really like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ski at Snowmass. This was just two weeks ago.

      Delete
  5. what a relief to finally get down the mountain, right Jack? Its rewarding.

    ReplyDelete

This is my blog. I hope you like it.